About the Lachine Curling Club
The Lachine curling club began when Canada was celebrating its first quarter century. The enterprising men who were establishing the industries and companies that would bring Canada into the 20th Century needed ways to relax and many of them enjoyed skating with their families during the long Canadian winters. At Lachine, a popular spot for this winter recreation was the ice on a creek that flowed through the present site of the Lachine General Hospital. When community leaders recommended that a skating rink be constructed, Albert Dawes, owner of Dawes Brewery, offered them a piece of land east of 32nd so that the Lachine Skating Club could be founded in 1887. By 1891, a club house was built where skaters could warm their toes.
In 1892, some of the club members, led by Mr. Philips, recommended the Scottish sport of curling to the winter program and a resolution was passed. As the Lachine Skating club was becoming the nucleus of curling in the West Island, the L.S.C. applied and was accepted into the Canadian Branch of the Royal Caledonia Curling Club. With this acceptance, the club changed its name to the Lachine skating and Curling Club.
Read the history in more detail